Sports Radio Host Mike Francesa Denies Falling Asleep on the Air (Video)
The WFAN-AM broadcaster appeared to nod off on the air earlier this week.
Sports radio host Mike Francesa says he didn't fall asleep during an interview that was simulcast Monday on the YES network.
Francesa, who hosts a show on WFAN-AM in New York City, appeared to nod off on camera while interviewing Sweeny Murti, a Yankees correspondent. For about a minute, he's shown with his eyes closed, head downward, while Murti -- who wasn't in the studio -- talks by phone. When Murti mentions "Mike," the host jolts awake, visibly startled and confused. The footage soon spread online, grabbing more than 400,000 views on YouTube as of Friday.
Francesa tells The New York Times that he was "dragging during the show," and closed his eyes due to exhaustion stemming from a sleepless Sunday night taking care of his son, who has asthma, and an earlier full day of football coverage.
"You can listen to the interview. I was never asleep," he says, professing to "never to close my eyes again or come in without sleep."
Watch video of the alleged nap below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR