MIPCOM 2012: Imagine Nation Takes 50 Percent Stake in Absolutely Independent
Former Sony executive Kees Abrahams and theater impresario Robin de Levita just launched Imagine as a film, TV and live entertainment content firm.
LONDON - Imagine Nation, a film, TV and live entertainment content company launched this week by Kees Abrahams and theater impresario Robin de Levita, has agreed to acquire a 50 percent stake in TV format distributor Absolutely Independent, based in the Netherlands.
STORY: Mipcom 2012: Theater Impresario, Ex-Sony Pictures Television Exec Team for Content Firm
Imagine Nation said the investment will give it "a platform for the acquisition, development and distribution of Netherlands-originated and global TV format IP, its commercialization and exploitation internationally." It also gives the firm access to Absolutely’s network of commercial partners and creative talent.
Meanwhile, Absolutely gets an additional network to access and bring in capital for its further development.
Abrahams, a former president of international TV production at Sony Pictures Television, will become co-chairman of the company alongside founder and CEO Patty Geneste.
“Absolutely Independent is a well-known and highly-respected player in the international TV distribution landscape, and its business fits perfectly with our own growth strategy for establishing a global IP powerhouse that develops and exploits content across multiple platforms," Abrahams said. "Our truly independent status, alongside Absolutely’s own autonomous position as one of the very few remaining independent distribution companies in the world, will attract top independent talent and other global independent companies looking to partner for content.”
STORY: Sony Pictures Television Corrals App Star 'Om Nom' for TV Show Development
Absolutely Independent has sold over 60 produced formats to clients in more than 50 countries, including the U.S., the U.K., Scandinavia, Australia, Germany and Spain. Its shows include ITV hit Long Lost Family and game show format The Exit List.
Absolutely Independent will showcase its formats at MIPCOM 2012 next week.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!