MIPCOM 2012: Syfy's 'Defiance' Headed to Canada
The hybrid TV and gaming property will debut on Showcase in 2013 as part of a deal between Shaw Media and NBCUniversal Television Canada.
CANNES – Canadian broadcaster Shaw Media has acquired the Syfy series Defiance for its Showcase channel.
The deal with NBCUniversal Television Canada comes ahead of the hybrid TV and digital property, which is shot in Toronto, bowing north of the border in 2013.
Shaw Media already found ratings with Continuum, as it broadens out into sci-fi with homegrown series like Lost Girl from Prodigy Pictures.
"We are thrilled that Defiance, an exciting and innovative new drama, will be available to viewers in Canada," Ron Suter, executive vp and general manager of NBCUniversal Television Canada, said Tuesday.
Defiance stars Grant Bowler, Julie Benz, Stephanie Leonidas, Tony Curran, Jaime Murray, Graham Greene and Mia Kirshner.
The series from Universal Cable Productions is executive produced by Kevin Murphy and Michael Taylor.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!