MIPCOM: French Drama Series 'The Returned' Sells to Canada, Australia
Channel 4 in the U.K. and the Sundance Channel in the U.S. are among the international broadcasters hot for the supernatural thriller.
COLOGNE, Germany – Acclaimed French series The Returned continues to win new fans with Canada's Bell Media and SBS in Australia picking up the supernatural thriller for subtitled runs in their respective territories.
Bell Media plans to air The Returned on its specialty network Space this Fall. SBS will bow the 8x60 minute first season in Australia before the end of the year.
A huge hit in France for pay network Canal Plus, The Returned has been a phenomenal success in the U.K. on Channel 4, where it has averaged 1.8 million viewers in primetime. Universal Pictures in the U.K. snatched up home entertainment rights for the series, releasing season one on DVD in Britain earlier this month.
Zodiak has racked up international deals including with Sundance Channel and Music Box for home entertainment in the U.S., public broadcaster SVT in Sweden, Hungary's Viasat and Sinema TV in Turkey.
French shingle Haut & Court produce The Returned for Canal Plus. FremantleMedia has acquired the English-language remake rights for the series and has brought on Shameless creator Paul Abbott to adapt the show.
The Return is set in a remote Alpine village where a small group of men, women and children are trying to return to their homes. What they don't know is that they have been dead for years and no one in the village is expecting them back. Their return coincides with a series of brutal murders that parallel the work of a serial killer for years past.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama