MIPCOM: Mark Burnett's 'Space Race' Sells for Canada, India, Mexico
The NBC reality show will see contestants vie for a chance to be shot into orbit via Virgin Galactic.
CANNES -- International buyers are climbing on board Mark Burnett's new reality TV series Space Race for a chance to head into orbit. The new TV format, which NBC will launch next year, has sealed deals with buyers in Mexico, Canada and India in its initial push at TV confab MIPCOM.
The competition format, produced by One Three Media, features ordinary people vying for a seat on Richard Branson's commercial spaceline: Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo.
"I have never seen such a response from buyers for a show like with this one," said Scot Cru of One Three International, which is selling the finished show and the format to international broadcasters. "There is just something about space that transcends boundaries."
The first market deals, including ones with Televisor in Mexico and India group Bulldog, could lay the foundation for a global launch for the format, which NBC will bow in 2014, hoping that Space Race will prove the next The Voice for the network.
Space Race, however, isn't the only reality space show out there. Sony is selling its own orbital reality show, Milky Way Mission, a Dutch format in which celebrities compete for a chance to get shot into low orbit via Virgin Galactic competitor Space Expedition Corporation (SXC).
"I really don't know much about the Dutch space program," Cru told THR, when asked to comment on Sony's space format. "All I know is we have Mark Burnett, Virgin Galactic and NBC."
The reality TV space race has officially begun.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack