MIPCOM: Turkish Drama 'The End' Gets Country's First U.S. Format Deal
Fox has picked up re-versioning rights to the hit Turkish show, with Peter Horton signed on to direct and Michael Cooney to write.
In a sign of just how fevered -- and far-ranging -- the search for new scripted series has become, Fox has just inked a deal to acquire re-versioning rights to a drama from Turkey, the latest territory to make its mark on the international TV scene. The deal came to light on the Croisette on the last morning of the four-day Mipcom TV market in Cannes.
The End will be the first Turkish drama series to hit American screens in a deal between Sander Moses Productions and Fox with 20th TV producing. Eccho Rights represents the hit scripted format.
Lined up to work on the show are Peter Horton as director and executive producer, and Michael Cooney as writer.
Fredrik af Malmborg, managing director at Eccho Rights, said that "the success of the ready made and now the way the scripted format is traveling testifies to the great ideas and inventiveness of the script."
Eccho Rights recently sold the Turkish drama as a format to Russia as well as licensing The End as a ready-made to over 40 countries including SVT in Sweden.
This last deal led to the first-ever subtitled Turkish drama to air on Western European screens.
The End comes from Turkish drama producer Ay Yapim and tells the story of a happy couple living in Istanbul. When the plane the husband is traveling on crashes, the wife is sent into a spiral of grief that stops when she finds out he never boarded the plane. She then has to find her way through a web of lies to find her husband.
Countdown to the Oscars
- Sandra Bullock to Make $70 Million (At Least) for 'Gravity'
- '12 Years a Slave': Solomon Northup's Descendants Gather for THR Photo Shoot, Reflect on His Legacy
- 20 Feet From Movie Stardom: The Overlooked Story of Hollywood's Greatest Extra
- Six Top Directors on Fighting With Studios, Firing Actors and Quitting Film School
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Maya Angelou Shares The Advice She'd Give Her Younger Self (VIDEO)
- Red Carpet Protesters Ask For Yearly Wages That Add Up To At Least One Oscar Gown
- Kristen Ellis-Henderson and Cathy Henderson of Antigone Rising Talk New EP Supporting LGBT Rights (AUDIO)
- Oscar Winners Should Learn From Joe Pesci & Alfred Hitchcock
- Lupita Nyong'o & Helen Mirren Show Admiration For Each Other at Women In Film Pre-Oscar Party!
- Chris Brown Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder & PTSD; Staying in Rehab For 2 More Months
- Shailene Woodley & Theo James Capture the Cameras at ICG Publicists Awards with Star Appeal!
- Nicole Beharie & Xosha Roquemore: Essence Luncheon 2014!