MIPTV 2013: France's Marathon to Adapt German Sitcom 'Danni Lowinski'
The CW passed on a U.S. version of the hit German series about a hairdresser turned lawyer.
COLOGNE, Germany – French production company Marathon has picked up remake rights to hit German sitcom Danni Lowinski from sales group Red Arrow International.
The series, currently in its fourth season at German commercial network Sat.1, focuses on a hairdresser turned lawyer who sets up shop in a local mall, offering legal advice for 1 Euro a minute.
"When I came across this format at Mipcom (last Fall), I straightaway secured the rights for the French market," said Marathon producer Jerome Vignac. “Funny, sharp, popular, modern ... Danni Lowinski is the kind of comedy we need right now."
The instant success of Danni Lowinski in Germany, combined with its clear recession-friendly concept, attracted global attention after the series premiered in 2010. CBS Television Studios picked up U.S. remake rights and shot a pilot for The CW with Amanda Walsh in the leading role, but the channel passed on the show.
A Belgian version of the sitcom that launched on public broadcaster VTM last year, however, was a hit and has already been renewed for a second season. Local versions of Danni Lowinski are also in production in Russia, Ukraine and the Netherlands.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera