MIPTV Kicks Off With Opening Night Party in Cannes
The stars of "Titanic" board Reed Midem's annual TV and media market ship with a screening before a soiree at the Hotel Martinez.
Entertainment media execs and talents were on deck to kick off MIPTV with a screening of mini-series Titanic and a glamorous soiree at the Hotel Martinez on Sunday night in Cannes.
There were no icebergs in site, only yachts lining the Riviera’s famed Croisette as Titanic creator Julian Fellowes joined the show’s cast members Celia Imrie, Glen Blackhall and Geraldine Somerville and other talents for the Oceanside festivities.
Yet despite their fated on-screen experience, the Titanic talent crew aren’t afraid of heading offshore. “I love the sea. I’m a real sea person,” Somerville said.
Response to the screening in Cannes was “fabulous” according to Imrie and the show’s second episode screened simultaneously Sunday night in the UK.
“I think people are endlessly fascinated,” Imrie said of the well-known tale, adding: “It’s a magical and tragic story.”
“Copper” stars Franka Potente and Tom Weston-Jones took time off from the Toronto set of Tom Fontana’s gritty 19th century immigrant drama to glam up for the Riviera. “I was very happy to finally get a manicure,” Potente said of her break from shooting her role as a brothel owner in 1860s New York.
“It’s very different and exciting. I’m happy to get cleaned up for it,” Weston-Jones said of flying from Toronto covered in dirt on set to walking MIPTV’s red carpet for the market’s opening night.
Miss World Ivian Sarcos turned heads on the red carpet sporting her crown and a midriff-baring ensemble, but spoke only Spanish to the disappointment of the press.
The stars of Femme Fatales Nikki Griffin, Christine Donlon, Madison Dylan, Catherine Annett, Shani Pride and Tiffany Brouwer also added girl power to the event before their hosting duties at the Digital Emmy Awards.
Jean Reno, star of Atlantique-TF1 production Le Grand distributed by SevenOne International, also added charm to the event. Reno is no stranger to Cannes and admitted to loving the regional cuisine. "The only place to eat is at Tetu for bouillabaisse, fish, potatoes with safran and big strawberry tarts with all different kinds of jams," the gourmet star explained.
This year’s MIPTV market runs through Wednesday in Cannes.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)