MIPTV: Michael Eisner to Make 'Mysticons' Cartoon With Canada's Nelvana (Exclusive)
The ex-Disney CEO's Tornante Co. shingle pacts with the Canadian animation maker to produce the animated boys action series.
TORONTO – Former Disney CEO Michael Eisner’s Tornante Co. has pacted with Nelvana to make Mysticons as an animated boys action franchise.
Nelvana Enterprises and The Topps Company, the trading card maker acquired by the Tornante investment firm in 2007, tapped kids series writer Sean Jara to pen 26 half hours of the cartoon for kids 6 to 11 years.
“Nelvana has a strong history of success in building and launching hit boys action properties and the partnership with Topps sets the stage for Mysticons to be the next big global boys action franchise,” Eisner said in a statement as MIPTV kicked off Monday.
Eisner has focused on making media and entertainment investments and acquisitions since he ran Walt Disney from 1984 to 2005.
Vuguru, Eisner’s online studio, has Canadian mobile and cable giant Rogers Communications as a minority shareholder.
Mysticons, his latest Canadian partnership, is centered around four regular kids in the quiet suburb of Castletown who are called into action to double as a legendary line of heroes, known as Mysticons.
After discovering a powerful mystical tome, the four friends transform into oath-bonded warriors who leave their regular life of homework, sports and video games to battle fire breathing dragons and evil knights led by a trio of evil warlords.
“We’re excited to be partnering with The Topps Company on a multi-platform series that has all the ingredients for success, including compelling characters and exciting stories,” said Corus Television president Doug Murphy.
Mysticons is to include game play as it leverages the Topps brand.
Nelvana's earlier boys action brands include the anime series Beyblade: Metal Fury, Beyblade: Shogun Steel and Bakugan.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues