New Miramax CEO Mike Lang Sets Sights on Digital Deals With Google, Netflix
The company is also in talks with the Weinstein Co. about a partnership that would handle jointly-owned rights.
New Miramax CEO Michael Lang and his team are looking at striking a slew of digital deals for the studio’s library, and the company is also in talks with the Weinstein Co. about a partnership that would handle jointly-owned rights, the New York Post reported Friday.
The Weinstein Co., owned by Miramax founders Harvey and Bob Weinstein, holds about 50 percent of the sequel rights to movies in the studio’s catalog, according to the paper.
The Weinstein Co. is looking to partner or be compensated for the use of those rights. Miramax is newly acquired by Filmyard Holdings, which hired former News Corp. and Walt Disney executive Lang to run the studio and look for new revenue opportunities for its 700-plus titles, which include the likes of Pulp Fiction.
"I believe digital is going to be significant," Lang told the Post, signaling a big focus on trying new things in the digital age. "In five to seven years it will be bigger than the physical landscape."
Miramax is in talks with Google, Netflix and others about digital rights to its library and hopes for several deals in the next six months, Lang said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)