'Mission: Impossible 4' Pulls in $14 Million Worldwide From Early Imax Release
The giant screen exhibitor posted its best December opening box office with the Tom Cruise-starrer in its theaters ahead of a December 21 wide theatrical roll-out.
TORONTO – This could bode well for Imax Corp.’s Hollywood studio pre-release strategy.
The giant screen exhibitor on Tuesday said it pulled in around $14 million worldwide from the early release of Paramount Pictures’ Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol during its opening weekend.
Domestically, the Tom Cruise-starrer generated $10.5 million on 300 Imax screens, for a per-screen average of $35,000.
The international take of $3.4 million came on 89 IMAX screens, with a per-screen average of $38,200.
Imax said Mission: Impossible 4 surpassed the previous December opening box office record set by Tron: Legacy.
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol is set to open on another 112 Imax screens overseas, including in China and Britain.
Imax has spoken of becoming a preferred early release window for studio pictures if the pre-release of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol from December 16 succeeded.
Imax showed the actioner on its super-sized screens five days before a wide theatrical release on December 21.
"Paramount leveraged an early release in Imax as a key component of its marketing strategy for this film and based on this promising start we are enthusiastic that this approach will deliver," said Imax CEO Richard Gelfond said Tuesday in a statement.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)