Mitt Romney Likens President Obama to Kim Kardashian
As G.O.P. candidates flock to Iowa ahead of Tuesday's caucus, the former Massachusetts governor makes an unflattering pop culture comparison.
Mitt Romney wants Iowa voters to know that he's hip to popular culture.
Just shy of the Jan. 2 caucus that will bring the G.O.P. one step closer to finding its 2012 presidential nominee, Romney compared President Barack Obama to Kim Kardashian.
The Hill reports that the former Massachusetts governor was speaking to supporters in Council Bluffs, Iowa, when he suddenly brought up the reality star's 2011 televised wedding.
“I’ve been looking at some video clips on YouTube of President Obama, then candidate Obama, going through Iowa making promises,” he said. “I think the gap between his promises and his performance is the largest I’ve seen, well, since the Kardashian wedding and the promise of ‘til death do we part.”
Kardashian, after all, filed for divorce after only 72 days of marriage with Kris Humphries, prompting laughter from the crowd.
Romney, not typically known for his pop references, has name-checked I Love Lucy and Twilight in the last year. His hesitancy might have something to do with his unsuccessful presidential bid in 2008, which saw him take a lot of mocking after quoting the song "Who Let the Dogs Out?"
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills