Mitt Romney's Concession Speech: Obama Is in My Prayers (Video)
"At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering," he says after conceding the win.
Mitt Romney told reporters earlier Tuesday that he had written only a victory speech, and his concession remarks delivered later that night kept a hopeful, encouraging tone.
In his brief speech, which lasted only about five minutes, the Republican candidate praised his wife, Ann, and running mate, Paul Ryan. He also graciously conceded to his opponent, Democratic incumbent President Barack Obama.
He also encouraged Americans to come together.
"At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering," he said, calling on politician reach on the "other side of the aisle" to work together. "We citizens also have to rise to the occasion."
He also called on teachers, pastors, rabbis and "counselors of all kinds" to help bring the nation together, as well as on "job creators of all kinds" to help boost unemployment.
"Democrats and Republicans in government at all levels need to put people before politics," he continued. "I believe in America; I believe in the people of America."
He ended by saying that he and Ryan had "given our all to this campaign."
"I so wish we had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead this country in a different direction, but the nation chose another leader and so Ann and I join with you to pray for him and for the nation," he concluded.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott