MLB Network Launches in Canada
The arrival comes as Rogers Communications renews its Canadian TV deal with Major League Baseball through 2021.
TORONTO – The MLB Network has launched in Canada, just as media giant Rogers Communications renews its Canadian TV deal with Major League Baseball for another eight years.
Rogers, which runs the Sportsnet-branded cable sport channels here and the Toronto Blue Jays club, will launch MLB Network on its digital TV service after securing regulatory approval from the CRTC.
The MLB Network will be available via a free preview period through April 2014.
The MLB Network launch will bring Rogers additional baseball revenue as it keeps a suite of TV, mobile and online rights to pro baseball content through 2021.
Terms of the rights renewal deal were not disclosed. Sportsnet has been broadcasting MLB games since 2003.
Toronto Blue Jays broadcasts will continue to dominate the Sportsnet schedule each summer, as the cable sport channels turn to hockey in winter after Rogers recently signed a 12-year, U.S. $4.9 billion rights deal with the National Hockey League.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay