The Moment That Hagman Became Ewing
"Dallas" creator David Jacobs sets the record straight about the oilman's early prominence on one of TV's longest-running dramas.
I have heard it said that the role of J.R. Ewing was relatively minor at the beginning of Dallas. But that's not so. J.R. appears on Page 3 of the 1977 pilot script. He drives the main story, and he speaks the last words in his close-up during the last shot. But what Larry did in that final shot showed how he'd taken possession of his character.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR