‘Moon River’ Singer Andy Williams Says He Has Bladder Cancer
The singer, 83, revealed his illness on stage at the Moon River Theatre in Branson, Missouri, but vowed to return next year.
Andy Williams, famous for his rendition of “Moon River,” announced Saturday that he is battling bladder cancer.
“I do have cancer of the bladder,” Williams, 83, told the crowd attending a concert Saturday night at his Moon River Theatre in Branson, Missouri. “But that is no longer a death sentence. People with cancer are getting through this thing.”
The optimistic singer surprised the crowd with the news during his 2011 Andy Williams Christmas Show, but continued that he plans to return to the theatre next year to celebrate his 75th year in show business. “I’m going to do the shows I’ve planned to do,” he said.
He then sang “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire,” and the audience stood and cheered to show their support, according to the theatre’s Facebook page.
Williams grew up singing in a quartet with his three older brothers, then later went on to a successful solo career. In the 1960s he was signed to what was at that time the biggest recording contract in history. He hosted his own variety program, The Andy Williams Show, from 1962 to 1971, and the program won three Emmy awards.
In 1992 he opened his Moon River Theatre in Branson, Missouri, and has been appearing there on a regular basis, typically performing two shows a day, six days a week for nine months a year. The theatre had previously announced that Williams had cancelled his performances due to an illness, but didn't provide details.
Below, watch Williams perform his classic hit, "Moon River," with Henry Mancini.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack