'Dark Knight Rises' Star Morgan Freeman Donates $1 Million Toward Obama's Re-Election
The Oscar winner becomes the latest Hollywood A-lister -- behind the likes of Jeffrey Katzenberg and Bill Maher -- to give big money to the leading Democratic super PAC.
Academy Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman has donated $1 million to Priorities USA Action, a Democratic super PAC working to assist President Obama’s re-election campaign, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Freeman’s donation comes hard on the heels of a fervent appeal by Obama to deep-pocketed Democrats, who thus far have shown much less enthusiasm for the independently run super PACs than have wealthy Republicans and corporate donors, who flooded the GOP committees with cash that can be expended in ways that will aid their candidates.
The actor now joins a small group of entertainment industry figures who have thrown their financial muscle behind the leading Democratic super PAC. Earlier in this election cycle, DreamWorks Animation chief Jeffrey Katzenberg donated $2 million to Priorities USA Action, and -- not long afterward -- HBO talk show host and comedian Bill Maher contributed $1 million.
J.J. Abrams and Katie McGrath have each given $50,000, while Steven Spielberg and Chelsea Handler both kicked in $100,000.
Freeman’s donation could well be the first in a series of large-scale super PAC contributions by entertainment industry figures -- at least, that’s what the president and his supporters are hoping.
In a statement released to THR, Freeman credited Obama for doing "a remarkable job in historically difficult circumstances."
"He ended combat operations in Iraq, put in place sensible reforms of Wall Street, saved the auto industry and protected the health care of every American," Freeman said. "He has led our nation to be more tolerant and placed impressive, accomplished women on the Supreme Court. In return, he is the target of hundreds of millions of dollars from right-wing sources. I am proud to lend my voice - and support - to those who defend him. Priorities USA Action is doing a great job of protecting the values I believe in. I am happy to help them and I hope others will join me."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott