MORNING ROUNDUP: Federal Trade Commission Clears Google of Privacy Violations
Plus: Oprah announces a bitch ban at OWN, Balloon Boy's dad becomes an internet pitchman, Joy Behar rejects Nevada Senator candidate's flowers and mouths off again, a Mad Men book begins pre-sales, and other overnight news.
- The Federal Trade Commission has ended its investigation into allegations that Google collected private data through its Street View Cars, Wired reports. Officials said in a statement: "Google has recently announced improvements to its internal processes to address some of the concerns raised above, including appointing a director of privacy for engineering and product management, adding core privacy training for key employees, and incorporating a formal privacy review process into the design phases of new initiatives." The web giant's CEO, Eric Schmidt, recently told The Hollywood Reporter that anyone can now be taken off Google Street View. Other countries, including Italy, are still investigation privacy breaches.
- Richard Heene, who infamously set off a nationwide panic when he announced his young son was trapped in a balloon, has a new job: Internet pitchman. The father, who later revealed his goal in the hoax was to get his family its own reality show, is hocking a wall-mounted back scratcher called the Bear Scratch, as Gawker points out.
- A fake memoir written by Mad Men character Roger Sterling, Sterling's Gold, is now available for pre-order on Amazon, Defamer reports. It will hit shelves Nov. 16th. The news comes days after a Mad Men Barbie was announced.
- Kid Rock doesn't think Steven Tyler made the right move by becoming a judge on American Idol, sniping to Entertainment Weekly, "I think it’s the stupidest thing he’s ever done in his life... He’s a sacred American institution of rock ‘n’ roll, and he just threw it all out the window. Just stomped on it and set it on fire. I think whoever’s advising him….we should bring back the guillotine, or whatever they call that thing. And if it was himself, he needs some serious counseling. I love him to death, but I gotta speak the truth.” Rock conveniently made the statements ahead of his next album, Born Free, hitting stores on Nov. 16.
- Joy Behar called Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle a bitch again on The View Wednesday after Angle sent her flowers. "I'd like to point out that those flowers were picked by illegal immigrants, and they're not voting for you, bitch!" said Behar, who has criticized Angle for a potentially racist campaign ad featuring immigrants. "You know what's offensive?" Behar went on, according to The Huffington Post. "Watching those ads, and watching people who work for a living made to look like villains. That's what's offensive. Not what I said. Let's get that straight, America."