MORNING ROUNDUP: Sarah Jessica Parker Named Anti Sex-Trafficking Spokesperson
A quick primer on stories you missed overnight
- The Brooklyn District Attorney's office announced Thursday that Sex and the City star Sarah Jessica Parker and Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe are the new faces of an sex trafficking awareness campaign. They'll appear on flyers, posters, a telephone hotline… and at a press conference Thursday morning in downtown Brooklyn.
- Billionaire philanthropist George Soros has donated $1 million to Media Matters, a liberal group that tracks the coverage of Fox News Channel and other conservative press, The New York Times reports. Media Matters will use the money to fact check Glenn Beck and other Fox hosts, it announced Wednesday, adding: "Fox has transformed itself into a 24-7 G.O.P. attack machine, dividing Americans through fear-mongering and falsehoods and undermining the legitimacy of our government for partisan political ends."
"I love that bitch," Jenny McCarthy jokes of her new boss, Oprah Winfrey, on E!'s Chelsea Lately Wednesday night.
- New CNN host Eliot Spitzer, the former governor of New York who was brought down by a prostitution scandal, has been rejected from the Harvard Club of New York. His spokeswoman, Lisa Linden, said in a statement to The New York Times, “The decision by the Harvard Club’s admissions committee is disappointing…. Last year, Harvard asked Eliot to speak on ethics at the school. He supports the institution financially. It would seem that whoever made this decision at the club is not on the same page as the university itself." The president of the midtown New York City membership-only club declined to comment.
- Chef Gordon Ramsay has dissolved his professional partnership with the the CEO of Gordon Ramsay Holdings, Chris Hutcheson -- who also happens to be his father-in-law. A statement from the company given to the UK Daily Mail says Hutcheson "retains an interest in the business as a shareholder." The paper cites unnamed sources claiming Ramsay and Hutcheson had a contentious relationship. Hutcheson helped Ramsay open up his flagship restaurant, the eponymous Gordon Ramsay, in 1998.
- Jenny McCarthy opened up about her forthcoming OWN Network talk show during a Wednesday appearance on E!'s Chelsea Lately. "We're just in development right now. I've been waiting for a long time to do my talk show, and I feel like, after everything I went through with my son [who was diagnosed with autism], I have a lot to say and empower women and make them laugh a little bit," McCarthy said. "I think that we need to be inspired and empower to be the best that we can be, so here I am. As for her new boss, Oprah Winfrey? "You know, I just really love that bitch. She's awesome," McCarthy joked. Watch below:
- Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria Parker was in a minor car accident Wednesday night, according to The Huffington Post. She was heading eastbound on Hollywood Boulevard when another car made an unsafe left turn into a parking lot and hit her car, Los Angeles police Sgt. Kara Silverstein says. Longoria Parker complained of pain, but wasn't seriously hurt.
- Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose is being sued for not making $73,976.42 in car payments on a 2006 Bentley Flying Spur, according to court papers (obtained by TMZ.com) filed in Los ANgeles Superior Court Wednesday. Rose leased the car through Bentley Financial Services in 2005. The company also claims Rose returned the car, which is worth more than $165,000, with a cracked windshield, gouged bumper and damaged tires.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)