Mos Def Joins 'Can A Song Save Your Life?' (Exclusive)
The film, directed by John Carney, also stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo and Hailee Steinfeld.
Yasiin Bey, the performer known as Mos Def, has joined the cat of Can A Song Save Your Life? the music-themed drama from Once film writer-director John Carney.
Bey is the latest musician to join the production, which hails from Exclusive Media and Likely Story, after Maroon 5’s Adam Levine and Cee Lo Green.
The movie, now in production, stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, and Hailee Steinfeld. It follows Knightley's character who moves to New York to pursue her dreams of a singing career but finds herself all alone when she's dumped by her boyfriend (Levine). A down-on-his-luck record producer (Ruffalo) finds her singing in a local bar, and the two realize they may be each other’s last chance to turn their lives around.
Bey portrays Ruffalo’s longtime business partner in the recording industry.
Likely Story's Anthony Bregman is producing the film along with Exclusive’s Tobin Armbrust. Judd Apatow is exec producing.
Bey made his name as a hip-hop artist but later branched out into acting. Among his credits are roles in The Italian Job and Something the Lord Made, for which he received Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. He also had a recent stint on Showtime’s Dexter.
Bey is repped by Brookside Artist Management.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR