Movie Ticket Price Hits All-Time High
The average cost of admission rose 17 cents in Q2.
The price of movie tickets hit a new high in the second quarter of this year climbing to $8.06, according to the National Association of Theater Owners.
That means the price of a ticket in the second quarter was up 2.15% over the average for 2010, which was $7.89.
This is not the first time the average price has risen above $8 however. It was $8.01 in the fourth quarter of 2010, but then fell to $7.86 in the first quarter of this year.
Much of the increase is attributed to the premium charge for 3D movies and the dearth of 3D movies in the second quarter.
Even though the attendance at 3D pictures has been softer than expected for many films this year, there have been enough successful films to drive up the average to a new high water mark.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR