MovieTickets.com Sees Surge in Mobile App Users
Roughly 17% of the company's ticket sales for "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" came directly from apps.
Mobile apps are starting to transform the way moviegoers make their purchases.
That’s according to MovieTickets.com, which has seen a dramatic uptick in the number of tickets sold via mobile apps for the iPhone, iPad and, more recently, the Android.
According to MovieTickets.com CEO Joel Cohen, 17.4% of the tickets sold for Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon were purchased directly by using the apps, versus logging onto the company’s website. Before now, the average was about 10%.
MovieTickets.com launched its iPhone and iPad apps last fall; the app for the Android was unveiled more recently.
Cohen said offering consumers a choice encourages movie going overall.
Based on Boca Raton, Fla., MovieTickets.com is contracted to sell tickets for more than 225 theater chains, including AMC Entertainment. The company has more than 17 million registered users.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR