MSNBC Host Lawrence O'Donnell to Take Week Off Due to Mother's Death
Beginning tonight, Chris Hayes will fill in this week as host of "The Last Word."
MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell will be off this week due to the death of his mother, Frances O’Donnell.
Chris Hayes will host The Last Word this week. An announcement will come on Monday night's show, when Hayes is expected to say in part: "The most devoted fan of this show is not watching tonight."
Frances O’Donnell died Sunday at her home in Cape Cod, Mass.. She was surrounded by her children and grandchildren who include five children, nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren. She was 93.
Funeral services are planned for Thursday on Cape Cod. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in her name to The Last Word K.I.N.D. Fund, a partnership with UNICEF, which raises money to provide school desks to children in Malawi.
Frances O’Donnell was the office manager in the family law firm in Boston started by her husband Lawrence F. O'Donnell and sons Michael and Kevin. An historic civil rights case won by the O'Donnells was the subject of Lawrence O'Donnell's 1984 book, Deadly Force about the 1975 shooting death of an African American man by Boston law enforcement.
The book was subsequently adapted into a 1986 TV movie starring Richard Crenna and Tate Donovan.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!