MTV EMAs: Miley Cyrus Lights Up On Stage (Video)
"I did find this," the pop star said as she appeared to smoke a joint while accepting an award for "Wrecking Ball."
At the MTV EMAs in Amsterdam on Sunday, Miley Cyrus lit up what appeared to be a joint while accepting the award for "Wrecking Ball" in the best video category.
After being greeted with a standing ovation from some parts of the arena, Cyrus said: "I couldn't fit this award in my bag, but I did find this."
Cyrus then appeared to smoke before exiting the stage. Earlier, she performed "Wrecking Ball and "Can't Stop" at the Viacom International Media Networks awards show.
Marijuana is not legal in the Netherlands, but smokers can't be prosecuted for possessing small amounts and it is sold openly in cafes known euphemistically as "coffee shops."
Cyrus, who long ago shed her image of innocence as the child star of Hannah Montana, has made no secret of her appreciation of Amsterdam's attractions, arriving the Friday before the show and hanging out at the Greenhouse coffee shop downtown with several other stars.
She also wore marijuana leaf emblems in her earphones during a live rendition of "Wrecking Ball" against the backdrop of a giant video screen of herself crying.
The stunt of apparently smoking a joint at the MTV EMAs arrives on the heels of the pop singer's controversial twerking appearance along with Robin Thicke at the stateside version of the award show, the MTV VMAs.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR