MTV Hires Former ABC Family Exec to Oversee Scripted Programming
As the younger-skewing network looks to beef up its unscripted efforts, new chief Susanne Daniels recruits Los Angeles-based Mina Lefevre.
MTV’s president of programming Susanne Daniels is putting her imprint on the network.
Some two months after accepting the top job, the veteran exec has made her first major hire in Mina Lefevre, who will join MTV as SVP and head of scripted programming. She comes by way of ABC Family, where she served as VP of development and programming and was responsible for such series and made-for-TV movie efforts as Pretty Little Liars and Melissa & Joey.
The news comes as the network once best known for since-ended reality show Jersey Shore looks to beef up its scripted efforts, with a desire to add to a portfolio that includes early entries Awkward and Teen Wolf. SVP Justin Levy, who had been overseeing the network’s scripted projects on his own since his counterpart Clay Spencer’s recent exit, will likely report to Lefevre when she begins next month.
“Mina was instrumental in establishing ABC Family as a pop culture player, and she’s demonstrated a proven ability to make hits that connect with young adults.” said Daniels in a statement. “In addition to our diverse roster of reality programming, MTV’s audience is increasingly hungry for more fun and smart scripted shows, and Mina is the perfect creative voice to join the stellar MTV team – that has already ushered in hits Awkward and Teen Wolf – to build upon the network’s diverse line-up.”
Added Lefevre: "It's an exciting time for scripted series at MTV. I'm looking forward to working with Susanne and the entire team to make more great shows and break new creative ground."
Prior to ABC Family, Lefevre worked at the net’s predecessor Fox Family Network, which she joined after several years at Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. She began her entertainment career at Flicker Fusion Films, as a producer on several independent features and shorts.
Email: Lacey.Rose@thr.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"