MTV Latin America Developing 'Popland' Telenovela
The Spanish-language series would be the network's first fully produced scripted show.
MEXICO CITY -- MTV Latin America has begun development on the Spanish-language telenovela Popland, its first fully produced scripted series.
The network announced out of the Miami NATPE conference on Wednesday that it has greenlit 75 one-hour episodes of Popland, which focuses on a small town girl who lands a job as a paparazzi in the big city.
MTV Networks International's sales arm will handle worldwide distribution for the new series and the network says it has slated a Latin America pan-regional premiere for later this year.
Popland is MTV Latin America's second telenovela production. Its first original novela, dubbed Ninas Mal, was co-produced with Sony Pictures Television.
Ninas Mal was shot on location in Colombia. Locations, cast and crew for Popland will be announced at a later date. El Capo scribe Marcelo Camano is co-writing Popland with Ninas Mal screenwriter Claudia Bono.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills