MTV Launches Multiplatform Campaign Against 'Modern-Day Slavery' (Exclusive Video)
The network announced its "mtvU Against Our Will Campaign" Thursday at the Clinton Global Initiative annual meeting.
MTV and its college campus network, mtvU, announced Thursday at the Clinton Global Initiative annual meeting that it will be launching a multiplatform campaign combating sex and labor abuses in the United States called the “mtvU Against Our Will Campaign.”
"Young people on campuses around the country are rising up and taking action to help end modern day slavery,” says MTV President Stephen Friedman. “As we’ve seen with the anti-apartheid movement and the genocide in Darfur, students are a powerful engine for social change, and mtvU is proud to give them a national megaphone to help abolish all forms of slavery in our country."
The initiative will use a multiplatform approach to help get its message across with an online site, mtvU on-air programs, on-air Public Service Announcements (PSAs), college campus programs, and student organizing.
The network partnered with and developed the program with Free the Slaves, Girls Educational and Mentoring Services (GEMS), and Polaris Project, which are organizations focused on stopping “modern-day slavery.” The campaign will also help to highlight and expand the work of more than 300 existing student organizations from campuses across the nation.
“College students are the future of the abolitionist movement,” says Free the Slaves College Chapter Coordinator Laura Murphy. “They will become the researchers, the legislators, the social workers, the lawyers, the teachers and nonprofit leaders who will ensure a future without slavery in the U.S. and abroad.”
According to the National Human Trafficking Resource Center, incidences of human trafficking have been reported in all 50 states, which includes forced prostitution or working without pay. Free The Slaves reports that there are as many as 27 million sex and labor slaves worldwide.
For more information on the MtvU campaign visit the website, www.mtvU.AgainstOurWill.org.
Watch The Hollywood Reporter’s exclusive first look at one of the campaign’s PSAs, Hair Salon, above.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!