MTV Movie Awards: Hollywood Honors Johnny Depp's Iconic Career (Video)
Attendees of the Sunday ceremony, which saw Steven Tyler and Joe Perry pay tribute to the actor, reveal to THR which of his many roles are their favorites.
A pirate, a cocaine dealer and a naïve boy with scissors for hands – these are among Johnny Depp’s most memorable film roles in what has become an iconic and storied career.
Depp was honored on Sunday night with the MTV Movie Awards’ Generation Award, the show’s own version of a lifetime achievement award, which has previously been presented to the likes of Reese Witherspoon, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Ben Stiller and Sandra Bullock.
But before Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler and Joe Perry presented their pal with the prestigious trophy, The Hollywood Reporter took a walk down memory lane with the stars in attendance. Asked to name their favorite Depp movie of all time, the attendees responded with a resounding four answers: Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one, not the sequels), Blow, Edward Scissorhands and What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.
“He’s diverse [and] he doesn’t take himself too seriously,” Gossip Girl actress Leighton Meester said of her favorite Depp qualities, adding, “he’s very attractive.”
“He’s good,” Bridesmaids star Ellie Kemper joked. “You should keep your eye on him. I think he’s gonna be something.”
Also receiving numerous mentions were Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Benny and June, Ed Wood and, of course, the beloved 1987 TV series 21 Jump Street.
Above, find a sampling of responses from the many, many Depp fans on the red carpet. Below, watch as Depp takes the stage at the Gibson Amphitheater in Universal City to perform with The Black Keys as he accepts his award.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David