MTV Tosses 'Choose or Lose' Catchphrase for Election Coverage
The cable network adopts a new slogan, "Power of 12," in an effort to inspire the cynical youth voting bloc.
MTV is losing its "Choose or Lose" catchphrase for election coverage.
The cable network has replaced its campaign slogan of almost 20 years for a new one -- "Power of 12" -- which it hopes will energize today's disillusioned youth to vote in the upcoming presidential election, the New York Times reports. The "12" signifies the election year, and the "Power" suggests that young people within the 18-to-29-year-old demo have much influence over the 2012 race -- if they take action, that is.
According to the Times, MTV's research revealed that even though youth showed up in droves to champion President Barack Obama last election, they remained cynical about the electoral process.
“They were so passionate,” said MTV president Stephen K. Friedman. "And then they hit this wall of the economy.” He added of the name-switch: "Voting is one step in the process -- just one step. The question for this generation is, they’ve got this power, will they exert it?”
MTV launched "Choose or Lose" in 1992, introducing voter-registration programs and such interactive events as a town hall meeting with then-presidential candidate Bill Clinton (wherein he declared, "I didn't inhale"). With "Power of 12," the election fervor continues with an MTV News documentary featuring 25-year-old filmmaker Andrew Jenks encountering Republican candidates; long-time MTV News Correspondent, Sway Calloway, will join Jenks on the trail. The network will also air a special, called "When I Was 22," about the candidates at that age. Also on tap: a voter-registration site designed to engage youth with a fantasy football-style election game, subbing in politicians for athletes.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack