MTV VMAs: Daft Punk Appears After Stephen Colbert Spoiler, But Doesn't Perform
The French electro-pop duo appeared with "Get Lucky" collaborators Pharrell Williams and Niles Rodgers as presenters, not performers.
Daft Punk didn't get lucky in the surprise department.
The French electro-pop duo made a "surprise" appearance during Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards, weeks after Stephen Colbert spoiled the secret after the group were no-shows on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report. (Viacom owns both MTV and Comedy Central.)
While there was speculation that the group would take the stage at Brooklyn's Barclays Center to perform, the duo instead joined "Get Lucky" collaborators Pharrell Williams and Niles Rodgers to present best female video to Taylor Swift.
Instead, the audience was treated to a snippet of the "Lose Yourself to Dance" music video prior to their introduction.
In an interview earlier this month, Colbert spoke openly about the difficulties of nailing down the reclusive group, revealing that he and the writers worked for weeks to find a common ground, which did not end up panning out.
"Ultimately, I would say, I understand that the VMAs have got their own rules, and Daft Punk, that's a big important thing to have done," Colbert said during the interview, "but I'm the guy who's completely screwed here. I don't have a show tonight."
"We don't put restrictions on anyone. I just think that we're talking to them about a moment and then things sort of change," he said at the time. "I would not describe that as MTV putting restrictions on people -- it was up to that artist and their management what they wanted to do."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack