MTV's O Music Awards Audience Nearly Doubles From Inaugural Show
Bjork, Adam Lambert, Nirvana and Spotify were among the winners at the Oct. 31 digital celebration.
Just six months after MTV’s inaugural O Music Awards in April, the network returned for round two on Halloween night with record results.
Robyn took the stage in West Hollywood to kick off the show after DJ Diamond Kuts -- currently featured in Dove's fresh spin campaign -- jumpstarted a 24-hour Guinness World Record attempt – which was successfully broken -- for the longest dance marathon at The Roxy. The effort raised more than $32,000 to fight bullying, with the money divided equally between The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN), The It Gets Better Project, The Gay Straight Alliance Network (GSA), Human Rights Campaign (HRC), Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) and The Trevor Project.
Robyn’s performance was broadcast live on MTV and the OMAs website, where the rest of the show continued to stream. Highlights from the show included a tribute to Steve Jobs by Yoko Ono and The Flaming Lips, performances by The Band Perry, Mac Miller and Alabama Shakes, and Kelly Clarkson, Demi Lovato, Tyler the Creator and Travie McCoy all served as presenters.
The show as a whole beat out April’s debut as MTV’s biggest live stream ever, nearly doubling the previous numbers. Preliminary numbers for the Oct. 31 livestream indicate 1.4 million, but are subject to change. Fans cast more than 22.3 million votes for their favorite artists, leading Bjork, Adam Lambert, Tokio Hotel and Nirvana to take home a few of the night’s big prizes.
The MTV O Music Awards celebrate the best in digital music culture. Read below for a complete list of winners.
Digital Genius Award – Bjork
Must Follow Artist on Twitter – Adam Lambert
Fan Army FTW – Tokio Hotel
Best Vintage Viral Video – Nirvana
Most Outrageous Tweet – Britney Spears
Too Much Ass for TV – Marilyn Manson
Best Lyrics Video – Joe Jonas
Oops, I Did it Online – James Blunt
Best Artist With a Cameraphone – Demi Lovato
Best Web-Born Artist – Kina Grannis
Most Addictive Social Music Service – Spotify
Best Music App – SoundCloud
Beyond the Blog Award – The Needle Drop
Most Innovative Festival – Way Out West
Best Music Hack – CrowdJuke
Best Music Forum – Rap Godfathers
Best Fan Cover – Marc Martel
WTF I Love This Award – Nyan Cat
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David