Toronto Police Made an Example of Perez Hilton in Warning Against Twitter 911 Calls
City cops give the celebrity blogger a shout-out, recalling his 2009 MuchMusic Video Awards fight with a Black Eyed Peas manager, to caution against tweeting to report crimes.
TORONTO – Toronto police on Sunday night recalled Perez Hilton’s fight with Black Eyes Peas manager Liborio Molina at the 2009 MuchMusic Video Awards to urge against using Twitter to call for help.
"Reminder: Don't use Twitter to report crimes. In Toronto, call 4168082222 (non-emerg) 911 (emerg). Welcome back to MMVA @PerezHilton,"” Toronto Police spokesman Tim Burrows said on the force’s Twitter account as the 2012 MuchMusic Video Awards kicked into gear.
The shout-out to the celebrity blogger recalled an incident where the gossip blogger turned to Twitter to alert authorities to a violent altercation he'd had with the Black Eyed Peas' entourage.
"I'm in shock. I need the police ASAP. Please come to the Soho Metropolitan Hotel now. Please," Hilton tweeted at around 3 a.m. three years ago.
Toronto police, out in force to ensure calm during Sunday's events, reminded music fans that they should not raise the alarm via social media channels and instead should use the phone or just flag for help.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack