Mun2 Greenlights MMA Competition Series 'Combate Americas'
The 10-episode series is scheduled for a 2014 debut.
Hispanic cable network mun2 has ordered Spanish-language mixed martial arts competition series Combate Americas.
The 10-episode, one-hour series was created by Campbell McLaren, UFC co-founder and CEO of Combate Americas, the first Hispanic MMA franchise, and BMP Latin, the Hispanic division of Real World producer Bunim/Murray Productions.
Combate Americas, hosted by Latin music duo Chino & Nacho and Andrea Calle, follows 10 professional Hispanic MMA fighters as they compete to win a spot in the new Combate Americas franchise. Daddy Yankee will serve as Combate Americas' first commissioner, with Piolin, a SiriusXM host, serving as color commentator.
The show is currently in production in Miami and is slated for a 2014 premiere.
“Mun2 is excited to continue to offer our viewers a look inside the sport of MMA,” said Diana Mogollon, executive vp and general manager of mun2. “No one has followed the world of Hispanic fighters through the process of making it into an MMA franchise, and we’re proud to be the first with this series from BMP Latin and Combate Americas. It’s an exciting series, with amazing stories of the challenges, struggle and victories that each fighter has endured to make it into la Jaula (the Cage).”
“Mixed martial arts is wildly popular with Latino audiences. Through our partnership with Combate Americas, we will give viewers an honest behind-the-scenes look at what it really takes to become the best. These fighters sacrifice everything for their sport, and we will be with them every step of the way,” said Gil Goldschein, president of Bunim/Murray.
Jonathan Murray, Goldschein, Gabriela Cocco-Sanchez, Julio Caro, Melissa Bidwell, McLaren, Luisa Varona and Margie Moreno are executive producers.
In January, Bunim/Murray launched the BMP Latin division to create and produce programming, both unscripted and scripted, for the Hispanic audience across multiple platforms, in addition to adapting Bunim/Murray and Banijay Group formats for Spanish and bilingual audiences in the U.S. BMP Latin is developing shows with Daddy Yankee and the Leonardo Lopez family.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills