'Murphy Brown's' Diane English Honored With WGA West's Paddy Chayefsky Award
She most recently wrote, produced and directed 2008's "The Women."
Murphy Brown creator Diane English will receive the Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award for Television from the Writer’s Guild of America West at their West Coast awards ceremony on Feb. 5.
“Diane English is a total class act – a trailblazing, supremely talented writer whose groundbreaking body of work has helped to both equalize and revolutionize television, while raising the bar for insightful, caustic, and moving writing on primetime TV. Her unique voice influenced not only a generation of women writers, but all creative artists who strive to deliver quality work,” said WGAW President John Wells.
The Paddy Chayefsky Award goes to a writer who has “advanced the literature of television throughout the years and made outstanding contributions to the profession of the television writer,” according to the guild. Past recipients include Steven Bochco, Susan Harris, Stephen J. Cannell, David Chase, William Blinn and Larry David.
English most recently wrote, produced, and directed the 2008 remake of Clare Booth Luce’s The Women (which was first made into a movie in 1939). She is best known for creating, writing and producing the long running CBS sitcom Murphy Brown, which starred Candice Bergen in the title role. It earned 18 Emmys (out of 62 nominations), the George Foster Peabody Award, two WGA awards and many other honors.
English has been in the guild since 1977, when she began her career at WNET in New York City on the Theatre In America series.
Her other TV series, all for CBS, include Foley Square, My Sister Sam, Love & War, Double Rush and Ink for Fox.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)