Music Exec Dies in Hollywood Shooting
John Atterberry's life was tragically cut short at the hands of a gunman who terrorized Hollywood in a shooting rampage Dec. 9. Atterberry, 40, was CFO and senior partner of Gridlock Group, an events promotion firm based in Los Angeles, as well as a burgeoning film producer of the upcoming God's Country. Previously, Atterberry worked for Tabu Records and was vp of Death Row Records, the hip-hop label founded by Marion "Suge" Knight that released records by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, among others. Atterberry, an L.A. native, was driving near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street when he was struck three times by 26-year-old Tyler Brehm, who indiscriminately fired as many as 20 rounds at motorists. (Chris Godley, a THR editor, also was slightly injured when a bullet entered his car and grazed his leg.) Atterberry was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he died Dec. 12. Brehm was shot and killed by police officers during the incident, which began at about 10:15 a.m. and lasted just minutes. The gunman's ex-girlfriend, Alicia Alligood, told KTLA-TV that Brehm had been "stressed out" in the days leading up to the incident and was taking drugs given to him by a woman he believed was a pharmaceutical salesperson. But police have not determined the motive behind the shootings. "I was shocked to hear the news," says Courtney Barnes, a publicist for Ron Artest and Smokey Robinson who has worked with Atterberry. "His office is nearby, ours is four blocks away -- it could have been any of us driving through that intersection."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kristen Bell Stuns In Pink Gown With Thigh-High Slit At 'Veronica Mars' Premiere
- Jennifer Lopez Rocks Neon Skinny Jeans On 'American Idol' Set
- Khloe Kardashian Wows In Curve-Hugging Dress At Miami Dash Opening
- Mindfulness in Everyday Life -- So You Want to Be Famous? What You Need to Know About Celebrity
- Amazon Is Raising the Price of Amazon Prime
- Lars’s Real Girl: Charlotte Gainsbourg on Fame, Nymphomaniac, and Working With von Trier
- Edelstein on Le Week-End: Unbelievably Marvelous, in Light of Its Depressing Trajectory
- Ebiri: If Need for Speed Were a Silent Movie, It Would Be the Most Amazing Racing Movie Ever