Naomi Campbell Sues Telegraph Over Elephant Polo Story
Campbell spokeswoman denies model planned an elephant polo tournament in India.
LONDON: Naomi Campbell is suing the Daily Telegraph for libel over an article claiming she organized an elephant polo tournament in India, according to the Guardian.
A spokeswoman for Campbell emphatically denied that the model, who campaigns against animal cruelty, had planned an elephant polo tournament in Jodhpur as stated by the article on Nov. 3.
The article, headed "Elephant polo at Campbell's party criticized", said celebrity guests at a party thrown by Campbell for her partner, the Russian billionaire Vladimir Doronin, would play the controversial sport in three-a-side teams. The online version of the article has been removed from the Telegraph website.
A spokeswoman for Campbell described the claim as "completely untrue" and said lawyers in London had been instructed to take action.
Campbell formally filed her libel claim against Telegraph Media Group, the publisher of the Daily Telegraph, at the high court in London on Dec. 5. She has instructed the London law firm Michael Simkins over the article.
Telegraph Media Group declined to comment, said the Guardian.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!