Naomi Campbell Sues Telegraph Over Elephant Polo Story
Campbell spokeswoman denies model planned an elephant polo tournament in India.
LONDON: Naomi Campbell is suing the Daily Telegraph for libel over an article claiming she organized an elephant polo tournament in India, according to the Guardian.
A spokeswoman for Campbell emphatically denied that the model, who campaigns against animal cruelty, had planned an elephant polo tournament in Jodhpur as stated by the article on Nov. 3.
The article, headed "Elephant polo at Campbell's party criticized", said celebrity guests at a party thrown by Campbell for her partner, the Russian billionaire Vladimir Doronin, would play the controversial sport in three-a-side teams. The online version of the article has been removed from the Telegraph website.
A spokeswoman for Campbell described the claim as "completely untrue" and said lawyers in London had been instructed to take action.
Campbell formally filed her libel claim against Telegraph Media Group, the publisher of the Daily Telegraph, at the high court in London on Dec. 5. She has instructed the London law firm Michael Simkins over the article.
Telegraph Media Group declined to comment, said the Guardian.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Leighton Meester Enjoyed Easter Dinner with Husband Adam Brody - Find Out the Romantic Details! (Exclusive)
- Emma Stone Publicly Questions Boyfriend Andrew Garfield's Views on Femininity - Watch Now!
- Johnny Depp Poses For Sweet Selfie with Fan in NYC!
- Shakira Is Flamin' Hot Singing 'Empire' on 'The Voice' - Watch Now!