Navy SEAL Team Six Author Receives Death Threats After Fox News Publishes His Name
With the book, about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, already steeped in controversy, the network's decision to publish the author's name has upped the stakes.
No longer anonymous, the former Navy SEAL behind the upcoming book detailing the raid that killed Osama bin Laden has begun to receive death threats from Al Qaeda-linked websites.
NBC News reported Friday that the author of No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden is the subject of threats on "militant Islamic websites" that posted his name, photo and admonishments such as "Oh Allah, make an example of him for the whole world and give him dark days ahead."
The author, who was operating under the pseudonym Mark Owen, had his real name revealed Thursday by Fox News, in both an online report about potential trouble he faces for writing the book and a televised segment. The Associated Press later confirmed the former SEAL's identity.
Fox has come under fire for its publication of the name from other quarters of the media, including on rival MSNBC. The network defended its decision in a statement, saying, "Once you write a book, anonymously or not, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy."
The author, expected to make a major media push for the book's Sept. 11 release, already has done an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes, which will be broadcast Sept. 9.
Hollywood has faced plenty of its own drama as it prepares to tell the story of the raid. Oscar winners Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal have faced congressional inquiries into their communication with the Obama administration during preparation for the film Zero Dark Thirty, which hits theaters in December. Republicans allege that the administration leaked confidential information about the raid to the filmmakers.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott