NBC Greenlights Singing Competition Show from 'Voice' Producers
"The Winner Is" will pit dueling contestants of all ages and configurations against each other before an in-studio panel.
NBC is adding another singing series to its schedule.
The network behind The Voice has greenlighted a new game show, The Winner Is, which will pit contestants against each other before an in-studio panel. Before hearing their fates, the singers -- a mix of soloists and groups that include kids, teens, adults, seniors, families and professionals -- will need to decide whether to negotiate a cash prize and step out of the competition or continue the game.
The show hails from Talpa Media USA, with The Voice creator John de Mol serving as an executive producer. And, like the swiveling chairs on Voice, NBC’s alternative chief Paul Telegdy was struck by the postperformance twist that this original series offers.
“Talented singers and the show’s surprising competitive twist, with the possibility of negotiating a deal to step out of the game, will have viewers engaged and entertained,” he said in announcing the deal.
After each singing duel, both performances will be judged by a panel that will be led by a not-yet-named celebrity judge. The contestants then will have the option to cut a deal. If they have doubts about how their performance compared to that of their opponent, they can opt to leave the show in exchange for cash. If they choose to remain in the game, they await the jury results to see if they’ve made it to the next round and a step closer to the $1 million in ultimate prize money.
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack