NBC Renews Notre Dame Broadcast Partnership in New 10-Year Deal
The network, which has had exclusive rights to the college football franchise since 1991, will continue to air home games through the 2025 season.
NBC is sticking with Notre Dame for at least another decade.
The network has renewed its broadcast partnership with the college football team for another 10 years, bringing its historic contract through the 2025 season. Notre Dame home games have aired exclusively as a part of the NBC Sports Group since 1991, including the undefeated 2012 season that took the team to the BCS Championship Game.
“While our relationship with NBC Sports is long-standing, the more recent merger between NBC and Comcast has opened up additional avenues to expand the breadth of Notre Dame-related sports programming on NBC platforms,” said Notre Dame vp and athletic director Jack Swarbrick. “Specifically, the evolution of the NBC Sports Network has provided opportunities for special programming featuring inside looks at our football team and several other Notre Dame sports programs and in-depth profiles on the unsung heroes of Notre Dame athletics. These are examples of the growth of our partnership, and we look forward to collaborating on additional projects and distribution strategies in seasons to come.”
The new extension begins with the 2016 season and has NBC Sports Group retaining global media rights on all platforms to a minimum of seven Notre Dame home football games a year on NBC -- that includes the team's recent spat of home games in other locales, like the 2012 Navy game in Dublin.
“Coming off one of Notre Dame’s best and most dramatic seasons in decades, we could not be more proud to extend this historic partnership, which continues to be one of the most innovative in sports-media history,” said NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus. “We are particularly excited that this extension offers enhanced rights that allow us to bring Notre Dame football to fans on more platforms than ever before.”
News of the renewal comes just days before Notre Dame's annual Blue-Gold scrimmage on April 20, which also airs on NBC.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'