NBC in Transit launches in N.Y., N.J.
News and entertainment will air on trains, at stations
NEW YORK -- New York and New Jersey PATH train riders are getting information, news and entertainment courtesy of NBC Universal's NBC Everywhere arm and transit partners starting Monday.
Through a partnership with outdoor ad giant JCDecaux North America and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the company has launched NBC in Transit on Pathvision, a network of digital screens in PATH train stations and trains.
The joint venture marks the first time that local and national news and entertainment content will be broadcast in tri-state area trains and stations, the partners said.
NBC in Transit is the latest addition to NBC Everywhere's New York-based digital out-of-home platforms. It already offers news and entertainment content in 5,500 New York City taxis, which the company says makes for 6.46 million monthly impressions.
In addition, NBC Everywhere owns NBC@Times Square, a big screen in Times Square that offers 1.5 million daily impressions, according to the firm.
The PATH screens feature NBC Uni content and PATH customer information. Monday's launch focused on screens in the most highly trafficked areas of the Hoboken, Journal Square and 33rd Street PATH stations. The offer will later be rolled out at the other ten PATH stations and inside new trains throughout the year. The new PATH cars will be equipped with more than 2,700 digital screens, which will bring the PATH network's screen count to nearly 3,000, the partners said.
The offered NBC Uni content will include local news and weather from New York station WNBC; local lifestyle clips from LX.TV; key headlines from MSNBC and CNBC news; plus entertainment clips from NBC Uni hit shows.
"NBC in Transit provides a great opportunity to inform and entertain PATH commuters while offering our clients a new digital platform to reach an upscale, on-the-go audience," said Mark French, GM and senior vp of NBC Everywhere. "The ability to tailor PATH screens based on the time of day or train platform provides an innovative way for our advertisers to deliver their message alongside relevant, customized, and entertaining NBCU content."
The transit platform reaches 6.3 million monthly riders. Hilton Hotels, Jet Blue and State Farm have signed on as inaugural NBC in Transit sponsors.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game