NBC's ‘Fashion Star’ Shut Down by IATSE Walkout
The union says it will remain out until a contract is achieved.
IATSE crew members picketed the NBC reality show “Fashion Star” on Saturday, resulting in a production halt that shut down a scheduled 1:30 p.m. taping and dismissal for the day of production personnel and audience. A union organizer told The Hollywood Reporter that the union will remain on strike against the show until a contract is reached.
“We’re on strike against this show until we have a contract,” said IATSE official Vanessa Holtgrew.
When that might be is unknown, since no talks are in progress. The issue, as usual in the contemporary economy, is pension and health benefits.
“A big, successful primetime show like this – I don’t see why they shouldn’t be union,” Holtgrew said. “I hope we get a contract for these folks so they can get their health and pension, and go back to making their show.”
The show is in production on its second season. It’s produced by Electus, 5x5 Media, and Magical Elves, as well as the Global Fashion Association.
THR has reached out to NBC and the production companies. NBC referred inquiries to Electus, but THR has not heard back from them or the other production entities yet.
Holtgrew said that a total of about 70 crew picketed the show at Hollywood Center Studios and a location near the Arclight theatre (Sunset and Vine, in Hollywood), each with two separate entrances.
There are numerous union crew members on the non-union show – which is permitted under IATSE rules – but without a union contract they are not receiving pension and health benefits. Holtgrew said that wage rates are not a factor in the strike.
The decline of motion picture and TV drama production in Los Angeles has left reality and half-hour comedy as key factors in the local business. IATSE has been active in organizing reality, and Holtgrew and IATSE official Mike Miller said to expect more job actions in the next few months.
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter’s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
Email: jhandel99 at gmail dot com
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!