Neil Patrick Harris to host Emmys
Previously hosted the Tony Awards in June
CBS announced the worst-kept secret in TV today: "How I Met Your Mother" co-star Neil Patrick Harris has been tapped to host the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards.
"We already knew Neil as a fantastic actor and performer, but after blowing everyone away as host of this year's Tony Awards, we couldn't think of anyone better to emcee the television industry's biggest award show," said Nina Tassler, president, CBS Entertainment. "He is not only engaging as a host, but has great instincts when it comes to live television."
CBS will telecast the Emmys on Sept. 20. The event is being produced by Don Mischer Production and will be broadcast live from the Nokia Theatre. Emmy nominations will be announced Thursday.
"I'm looking forward to the challenge of the show -- adding my own voice to it, while honoring the nominees and the entire year in television," Harris said. "But which voice to choose? I'm torn between gangsta, foppish Brit, and robot. Really proud of my robot. We'll see what happens on the night."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!