Netflix Canada Signs Up One Millionth Subscriber
Netflix has reached the milestone ten months after launching in Canada, and ahead of expanding outside North America.
TORONTO -- Netflix Canada has crossed the one million subscriber mark ten months after launching a local video streaming service.
The one millionth customer, Amanda Bell James, is from Flin Flon, Manitoba, and has earned a lifetime membership to the U.S.-based online video subscription service for the honor.
"We're thrilled that Canadians have embraced Netflix so rapidly, and are we're equally proud to have welcomed one million members in such a short period," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a statement Thursday.
Netflix Canada has maintained a $7.99 a month subscription service for unlimited movies and TV show viewing via the Internet.
The quick expansion of Netflix Canada has led the U.S. video streaming giant to ramp up its international expansion.
Parent Netflix recently said it will expand to Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean.
And Netflix has signed an output deal with Lionsgate UK ahead of an expected expansion into the British market.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram