Netflix Canada Signs Up One Millionth Subscriber
Netflix has reached the milestone ten months after launching in Canada, and ahead of expanding outside North America.
TORONTO -- Netflix Canada has crossed the one million subscriber mark ten months after launching a local video streaming service.
The one millionth customer, Amanda Bell James, is from Flin Flon, Manitoba, and has earned a lifetime membership to the U.S.-based online video subscription service for the honor.
"We're thrilled that Canadians have embraced Netflix so rapidly, and are we're equally proud to have welcomed one million members in such a short period," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said in a statement Thursday.
Netflix Canada has maintained a $7.99 a month subscription service for unlimited movies and TV show viewing via the Internet.
The quick expansion of Netflix Canada has led the U.S. video streaming giant to ramp up its international expansion.
Parent Netflix recently said it will expand to Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean.
And Netflix has signed an output deal with Lionsgate UK ahead of an expected expansion into the British market.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!