Netflix Licenses U.K. TV Show 'Being Human' for North America
The supernatural drama about a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost airs on BBC 3, with a U.S. remake on Syfy.
NEW YORK - Netflix has struck a U.K. content deal, acquiring rights to supernatural drama Being Human, which has been airing on BBC 3, a Netflix spokesman confirmed Thursday.
The licensing deal is for the U.S. and Canadian markets, the spokesman said. The arrangement is one of the company's first U.K. deals and also covers the show's U.S. remake on Syfy, according to U.K. news reports.
Being Human is about three housemates who happen to be a werewolf, a vampire and a ghost. The series has had three seasons in the U.K.
Netflix has been pushing into original series and the acquisition of foreign TV shows for the U.S. market amid increasing competition in the streaming video space.
Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos gave a keynote speech at Mipcom this week in a sign of the company's interest in more content.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR