Netflix's Europe Problem
Established competitors could thwart the company's overseas onslaught.
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has bankrupted Blockbuster and outmaneuvered Apple and Google in the streaming video space, but if it is to expand beyond its 28 million North American subscribers -- and justify its $12.6 billion market cap -- it has to go global. After dipping its toe in the Canadian market, the company will launch in Latin America this year and has been quietly preparing for a bow in Spain and the U.K. in 2012. Although Netflix declines comment, sources confirm that the company has signed a multiyear exclusive output deal with Lionsgate U.K. and is talking to other content providers across the continent as well as in Asia.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR