Netflix's Ted Sarandos Slams Theater Owners: They 'Try to Strangle Innovation' (Video)
The executive hints that Netflix might begin releasing "big movies ourselves" because theater owners are resistant to allow more movies to bow day-and-date on Netflix's streaming service.
Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos criticized theater owners over the weekend in his keynote address at the ninth annual Film Independent Forum.
Sarandos, speaking Saturday at the DGA Theater in Los Angeles, spent part of his 40-minute speech discussing the industry's changing business models. He criticized the current theatrical releasing model of "antiquated windows."
Movies have become "these cold spectacles that have to be sold around the world in order to recoup these huge marketing and production budgets."
He also attacked theater owners for obstructing innovation and for their hesitance to allow more movies to bow day-and-date on Netflix's streaming service.
"Theater owners stifle this kind of innovation at every turn," he said. "The reason why we may enter this space and try to release some big movies ourselves this way is because I'm concerned that as theater owners try to strangle innovation and distribution, not only are they going to kill theaters, they might kill movies."
In his remarks, Sarandos also said Netflix is in talks for a third season of its Emmy-winning drama House of Cards.
Watch his full speech below.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!