New 'Les Miserables' Trailer Features Russell Crowe Singing, Sacha Baron Cohen's Thenardier
Songs "One Day More" and "Do You Hear the People Sing" accompany new footage from the Christmas release.
The first international trailer for Les Miserables, Universal's blockbuster adaptation of the iconic stage musical, has found its way online and brings with it an eyeful of never-before-seen footage from the hotly anticipated Oscar hopeful.
Unlike the film's first U.S. trailer, set entirely to Anne Hathaway's rendition of the tragic anthem "I Dreamed a Dream," this preview features multiple songs from the famous score. The moving choral piece "One Day More," sung by most of the cast, gives us our first taste of Russell Crowe's take on the villainous lawman Inspector Javert. And the stirring battle cry "Do You Hear the People Sing" closes out the two-minute clip.
We also get a look at the film's central love story -- between a grown Cosette, played by Amanda Seyfried, and her lovelorn suitor Marius, a student revolutionary played by Eddie Redmayne (My Week With Marilyn).
Look closely and you'll also spot Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter in the comic-relief characters of the Thenardiers.
The singing, across the board, was recorded live as it happened -- an innovation from director Tom Hooper that allowed his actors more dramatic freedom in interpreting their roles.
Les Miserables opens Dec. 25 in theaters. [via Rope of Silicon]
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!