New 'Melrose Place' lands writer
'One Tree Hill' creator Mark Schwahn to pen project
Mark Schwahn is in negotiations to pen the script for the CW's new "Melrose Place" incarnation.
The "One Tree Hill" creator emerged as a top candidate to write the project shortly after the network and CBS Paramount TV announced in late October that they are planning a contemporary take on "Beverly Hills, 90210's" spinoff.
Because of Schwahn's commitment to "Hill," a deal for "Melrose" is taking longer to make.
Schwahn signed a two-year overall deal with CBS Par in early October, but it does not start until June. Until then, he is under a pact at Warner Bros. TV, where he runs "Hill." His agreement with WBTV also calls for him to continue as executive producer and showrunner on "Hill" if the series is picked up for a seventh season next fall.
The move to tap Schwahn to conceive a contemporary "Melrose" resembles the CW and CBS Par's decision to have "Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas pen the original script for "90210." As with that project, which Thomas then handed over to Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah, Endeavor-repped Schwahn is not expected to stay with the potential "Melrose" series.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)