New Tech-Infused Luxury Goods for Hollywood
IOMA skincare, used by Rihanna and Sofia Vergara, and Left Shoe are among the latest cosmetic and fashion companies that have turned to scanning technology and other cutting-edge techniques to ensure a perfect fit.
The growing use of scanning and 3D technology is changing the way we buy made-to-measure luxury goods.
IOMA and The Left Shoe Company are utilizing innovative technologies that allow for ultra-customized skincare and footwear. MykitaMylon, the German line of eyewear, is manufactured with 3D printing. Augment, an augmented reality app, allows users to visualize 3D models of prospective website purchases. Adidas stores feature the BodyKinectizer, an interactive fitting room. All are examples of how technology is revolutionizing custom-fit luxury goods.
IOMA founder Jean Michel Karam brought the French skincare line to the United States in 2011. The company uses proprietary technology to analyze the condition of an individual's skin and prescribes a customized skin regimen based on the results. IOMA also measures the effectiveness of its products -- sold exclusively at Saks Fifth Avenue stores -- before and after, so customers can track their progress throughout and measure the treatment's effects. Rihanna, Sofia Vergara and Dominic Cooper have been spotted visiting the IOMA counter.
At the Left Shoe Company, customization begins with scanning a customer's feet with a 3D scanner that takes a 360-degree image yielding an extremely precise measurement. The customer then chooses the shoe's silhouette, color, size, material and sole. The shoes are handmade in Portugal to the scan's specifications using fine leather and suede tanned in Italy. The company counts Michael Jordan, Joe Manganiello and Adam West as customers.
“They love the concept of being able to personalize and customize the shoe," says Left Shoe's president and co-founder Patrick Mayworm. “I think it’s just the beginning stage of something that’s going to take off fairly quickly, because the technology is there.”
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'