New York Times Website Down Due to Outside Hacking
The newspaper's website is reportedly being hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army.
The New York Times website is currently down, after experiencing an outage nearly two weeks ago.
The first time the newspaper's website was unavailable to readers was due to technical difficulties on Aug. 14. Currently, viewers are unable to view The New York Times online.
"The result of a malicious external attack by the Syrian Electronic Army or someone trying very hard to be them," NYT chief information officer Marc Frons said in a statement. He also advised employees to "be careful when sending e-mail communications until this situation is resolved."
Matt Johansen, head of the Threat Research Center at White Hat Security, tweeted that he was directed to a Syrian Web domain when trying to access The Times online.
— Matt Johansen (@mattjay) August 27, 2013
The newspaper first announced its website was having problems at 1:23 p.m. PST through its official Twitter account.
The New York Times Web site is experiencing technical difficulties. We are working on fully restoring the site.
— The New York Times (@nytimes) August 27, 2013
Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal appeared to be taking advantage of this moment by promoting its own content and pulling its paywall down while the nytimes.com experiences technical difficulties.
Free read @WSJ paywall is down
— WSJ Communications (@WSJPR) August 27, 2013
As of 3:40 p.m. PST, The New York Times website remains unavailable, but published updates can be accessed at news.nytco.com.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10